The Tovsky Tribe

Chocolates, Cocktails, Friends, Babies...A Girl Should Never Have Just ONE!!

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Family Support

Last night, Todd and I went to the Ritz at the Bourse to see the premiere of the documentary: Wrestling with Angels: Playwright Tony Kushner. Though we do find documentaries in general interesting, we have no particular interest in the theater, nor in Tony Kushner. We went simply, in support of Todd Shotz who worked passionately on this project for the last five years.
I have never made a movie, I have never even been involved in making a movie, I hardly make home movies so I will say that I am proud of Todd for being in a position to say he was part of a documentary released on the big screen. With that being said, I must say I found the movie to be awful. With all due respect to the documentarian I just found it boring, uninteresting, lacking entertainment value. Sure, Tony Kushner seems to be a somewhat interesting man, a succesful playwright, and a controversial activist but I am not sure he has a mass appeal. Maybe it was me. At first, I thought, I have to say I liked it, I have to show support to my cousin. But then I realized I am entitled to my opinion as much as anyone else. I did not enjoy the movie! I am sorry Todd, I love you and I am proud of your work and your accomplishments, but I just did not enjoy it. With that being said, however, I want to make it clear that I went to the movie for one reason only, to support Todd. I would go to see another of his projects for the same reason, and I hope he has more movies for me to sit through. I can't guarantee I will like them all, but I will guarantee I will support them all, anyway I can.
It's like Jericho. The previews did not catch my interest, the premise did not seem to appeal to my love for nighttime drama, but I tuned in to the very first episode, and every once since then, to support my cousin (and Todd's brother) Dan Shotz. He is producing the show, and I am very proud of him. I like the show, though it does not rank amongst my favorites, but as long as it airs I will watch it. I want it to catch a buzz, I want it to be picked up, I want it to run for years, even be released in syndication, because Dan deserves it!
That is what family is for, and we are all so lucky to have each other.

No comments: