The Tovsky Tribe

Chocolates, Cocktails, Friends, Babies...A Girl Should Never Have Just ONE!!

Thursday, August 19, 2010

My Favorite Rock!

The view from my rock

Growing up, particularly my high school years, I had a favorite rock in Tyler State Park.  It was tucked away in the trees, on a hill, off the beaten, yet highest point of the path.  It overlooked the stream, the dam, the waterfall.    I was introduced to this rock by a friend, and we often went there in a group and would just hang out.   But, the rock became special to me.  My thinking place.  I would go there when I had some time to myself, which was often back then.  I would go there to write in my journal.  I would just go.  I have taken Todd there, and though he can appreciate a wonderful place in nature as well as anyone I am not sure he ever fell in love with the rock like I did.  If, of course, you can actually fall for a rock.  More like from a rock.
Anyway, I took the boys on a nature walk the other day.   After all was said and done I did wonder if my attempt at a beautiful hike was borderline child abuse due to the distance we walked and the amount of time it took, but a beautiful hike it was.  For me.  The boys enjoyed the rock climbing, the allowance to scream, throwing rocks, using fallen trees as balance beams.  When we saw a deer on the hike, instead of stopping in their tracks and quietly admiring its beauty, like I did, Ryder ran full speed ahead, excited, as if it were a super hero waiting his embrace, shouting "deer, deer" along the way. He was so sad when the deer bolted into the woods, into hiding, far away from a screaming pre-schooler.
Some day, the boys may fall in love with nature the way I have, the way Todd has.  Someday, they may be able to stop, breathe, and soak in a view, for now, boys will be boys, and lakes are meant for splashing, rocks are meant for climbing (or throwing depending on the size,) and parks are meant for boisterous fun.   I am OK with that.

No comments: