The Tovsky Tribe

Chocolates, Cocktails, Friends, Babies...A Girl Should Never Have Just ONE!!

Thursday, October 8, 2009

A Letter to my Son on his 9th Month Birthday (For his 8th and 9th month birthdays!)

Dear Turner,

Today you are nine months old.  I managed to skip your 8 month letter.  I did not fail to recognize the day, nor feel the tug on my heartstrings, I was just simply buried beneath a mountain of to-do's and the whole month has passed.  So, today's letter is a two for one.  Happy 8th and 9th month birthdays.

Last month I would have written this:


Turner at 8 months old
 


I have nicknamed you Trooper because that is what you are.   Partly because of your army crawl, but mostly because you are exactly that, a Trooper.  We take you to and fro, we wake you when you want to sleep.  We hold off your food when you are hungry.  We do this not to punish you but because we are constantly on another's schedule. Be it your brother's, your father's, mine, or even yours, your classes and play dates, something is always conflicting with something else and you go right along with it, with hardly a complaint.  Ever.  Thank you for that, my Trooper!!
You can now put yourself into a seated position whether you are crawling or lying down.  You crawl everywhere, all of the time, and though you still mostly crawl like an army trooper , you are trying to crawl with regular form.  You are almost there!
You are fully capable of holding your own bottle.  But, you rarely do!  You much prefer the snuggle time with me, or the lucky feeder.  And, though at times I know it would be easier if you would hold it, I am grateful for the opportunity to hold you in my arms those few times a day.
You can't sit still.  Changing your diaper has become a difficult and frustrating task as you squirm about, flipping over and back.  You are full of energy, full of life, full of laughter. 
We went on vacation this month to the Outer Banks.  You were not so happy in the car ride, which was over 8 hours, and let us know it with a shriek that seemed to stop traffic. I suppose you were not thrilled to ride in the third row, backwards, surrounded by luggage in every last crevice.  On the trip, however, you were your pleasant self and enjoyed the beach, the pool, and playing with Jackson.  You also had your first real bath while we were there.  You loved it, splashing all about.  Ever since, we bathe you most often with your brother's which is really fun for everyone.

On the dunes in OBX

 

 
 Jackson and Turner

You have three more teeth coming in, all at once and within no time you will have a mouthful.  You are handling it pretty well and continue to be a very happy baby.
You have little interest in table food and though you eat the baby food pretty well you do not seem to have a particular favorite, and you still love your bottle, very much!
Your hair continues to come in thicker and curlier and is still a very light brown.  Your eyes are also still on the light side though it's a guess each day as to what color they will be.
You are not one of those babies that puts things in his mouth, which is good, but it seems to be playing a part in your lack of interest in table food.  Or so it seems.
We've begun both music, with Miss Marilyn, and Little Gym.  You seem to enjoy both very much and I love having the one on one floor time with you.   The Little Gym, where you are currently a "bug", seems to be much more structured than I remember My Gym being when your brother's took it.  It's a great class, we like it, and we enjoy the time with Sawyer Cohen.
You are active, and funny, and love to laugh.  Chase and Ryder send you into absolute hysterics and just one moment of laughter from you can make my whole day.
As quickly as time is passing and as overwhelming as life can get, never a moment passes that I do not feel as though I am the luckiest mommy in the whole world.  I look at you and smile, each and every time.  I love you so!!

Trooper crawl




At nine months, your letter goes something like this:


 Turner 9 months old


Happy 9 months, Trooper!!  Somehow, it seems, the time has come to start thinking about your first birthday.  Oh my.  How did that happen, and so quickly?  So, nine months, and you are all you are supposed to be.  Weighing in at an even 20 pounds puts you at exactly what Chase weighed at a year (and more than Ryder did at a year) and in the 25th-50th percentile.  You measured 31.5 inches long, but we are pretty sure that was a mismeasurement.  You can wear 12 month shirts, or bigger, and are in size 3 diapers.
You can now clap your hands and do so with delight.  You can now climb the steps, fully and unassisted, and do so with such pride and excitement that I feel the need to stand there and watch, each time.  At the top, always, you applaud yourself!!   You can now pull yourself to standing, so we are greeted in the morning by a little boy standing, grinning, in his crib.  You will stand at the coffee table, at the couch, at the bed, wherever you can.


Climbing the stairs


Although you can pick up table food, you still have not figured out how to get it to your mouth and will usually sit and hold it and mash it into quite a mess.  However, if we feed you table food you are much more open to it now and have enjoyed Gerber puffs and yogurt melts in addition to pizza crust, bagels, challah, cheese, noodles, and meatballs.  Baby food, and your bottles, are still your main source of nourishment.  You have 4 teeth, one of which is a bit of a snaggle tooth right now, and three or four working their way in,  Amazingly, you are not cranky or miserable, just a little bit of a drooler:)
You are unbelievably patient and absolutely adorable!  You love to be near your brothers and always greet me with a great big bear hug.  Which I love. A lot!!  You love to bang your hands on the table when I chant "Bang, bang, bang on your drum, drum, drum" and you throw your hands in the air when I ask how big Turner is.  You laugh at me, every time, when I sign "more, please!"  You have not yet figured out that I am trying to teach you to communicate.  But, you have your own way of communicating, babbling, babbling, babbling all day long.
You seem to be a mix of your brother's in so many ways.  You smile like Chase and have Ryder's eyes.  You have curls like Chase but are like light Ryder.  You are laid back like Ryder but verbal like Chase.  You are a wonderful mix into this wonderful being and not a day, not a moment, passes that I am not proud to be your mommy.  And, more than anything, I look forward to seeing all the ways you are Turner, as only Turner can be.



Turner, my wonderful baby boy, I love you so!!!



No comments: