The Tovsky Tribe

Chocolates, Cocktails, Friends, Babies...A Girl Should Never Have Just ONE!!

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

First Date



Ryder took me on a date.  Really.  Just he and I.

Let me back up.   Not too long ago Ryder said:

"Mommy, is 12 old enough to date?"

Intrigued, I answered "Yes.  5 is old enough if there is someone you want to date.  Is there?"

He smiled, his eyes got big, he nodded his head, "Uh-huh!"

I blushed a little, thinking it was his adorable new crush at school, when he said with a pointed finger, "you, mommy!"

I couldn't deny my boy his first date.  And, admittedly, I was flattered and happy to still be his first love.
So we went.   I used this opportunity to teach Ryder about the ways of dating.   I am not old-fashioned nor am I conservative.  When I was dating acts of chivalry were not that high on my list of expectations, but I do feel the absolute need to raise the boys as complete gentlemen.  Farting, burping, pooping gentlemen.

He wanted to go to Jakes, a local favorite.  He wanted me to drive because, "I am too little to drive, mom!"  On our date, and after appropriate instructional prompts, Ryder opened the door for me.  He pulled out my chair.  He asked me what I wanted to eat and then ordered for me first, then himself.

We ate, we laughed, we listened to the music.  He was thrilled that Jakes played both Neil Young and Michael Jackson over their system.  We had a great time.

When the bill came, he took my credit card and handed it to the server and waited patiently for the receipt, which he signed with his near perfect penmanship just before I did.

We walked out of the restaurant holding hands and I thanked him with a great big hug and a kiss.

I know it won't always be this way, I know he won't even want my advice, let alone want me around.  So, I will hold on to our first date with fond memory.  I hope he continues to want to charm the ladies with gentlemanly and respectable ways.  He will certainly break some hearts!

No comments: