The Tovsky Tribe

Chocolates, Cocktails, Friends, Babies...A Girl Should Never Have Just ONE!!

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Chase M. Tovsky, Esquire

Lately, it is next to impossible to win an argument with Chase.

I hear you snickering.  "Come on, Wend, you're the parent.  Toughen up!"  I have heard it all before and though I won't argue with you that I can be a bit of a softy with my guys, Chase's skill is beyond my level of toughness, or lack there of.

Since he was in the 3's program at school the teachers have claimed he would grow up to be a lawyer.  Or, a politician.  Aren't they the same, really?  considering MOST people's opinions of both, I wasn't sure I this was actually a compliment, though I think it was said in flattery.

Lately, however, he has proven that, though he may travel down a road of sports super-stardom, he could likely end up near a courtroom.  That boy can argue.  And,  negotiate.  And, charm.  It is an interesting combination.

He is quite capable of not only citing precedence, by remembering, with detail, every prior incident that is closely related to a situation, but also of negotiating a settlement by stating arguments so valid that one is forced to concede.  It is because of my keen awareness that I am, indeed, the parent (see first paragraph) that I refuse such a concession, even if I know he is right.

Don't believe me?  I challenge you to try argue with him why it isn't fair that he only had 3 minutes use of my phone while his brothers, on more than one occasion, have had 5 minutes each.  Or, why I should not have gotten a white car because, in fact, ever since he has known me I have driven a white car, and therefore, I should have let him pick the color.  He can persuade you to play soccer, even if you want to sit on the couch, because we should want him to improve his skills and therefore we should want to work out with him.  And, without a doubt, he should be able to do homework later because he needs time to rest his mind and refresh his brain.

OK, I am off to study torts now so I can try to out lawyer my son.

No comments: